Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 74: Back on the Main Land

Granted, Florida might be a connected part of the good ol' U.S. of A., but it seems that Disney World is a tiny, creepy, magical country all its own. Coming back mid-week totally through me off and I have the 7th Annual Summer Hope Benefit coming up (visit www.summerhope.org for more details!). The Summer Hope Benefit is my foundation, Summer Hope's annual fundraiser (our flagship, if you will), and it completely consumes my life for the month of August and September. On the plus side it keeps on growing and growing, increasing the amount of money Summer Hope donates to cancer research facilities and uses to support cancer patients and their families (for example, we are building a children's library at a pediatric cancer unit, and providing another with a $5,000 gaming system for their Pediatric Bon Marrow center this year). However, the bigger it gets the more moving parts that are involved. Luckily, the Board of the Summer Hope Foundation which is chock full of friends and family have become pros at putting together this event - that doesn't make it any less nerve racking. Nor does it make it any easier to get my ass to the gym or on the streets.



Carving out time to run is going to get harder and harder until September 11th, 2009 (the night of the Benefit), and yet for the first time in 10 weeks or so, I feel like I need solace that a run can bring. I know I sound like one of those cheesy running people, who equate running with some kind of faux religion, but as my stress builds, two hours of focusing on something other than a) cancer and b) guest counts (get in our responses people - you are slowly killing me!). I realized that there were about a million Summer Hope related things that I needed to know in the hour it would take me to get to the gym, stretch and run for 45 minutes (not to mention write this blog), but I had to do it. If not now, then when, right?

My goal was to run without stopping. This has been a major problem for me from day one of my training, and I haven't asked, but I assume it's something that a lot of non-runner runners deal with. Something in my brain just clicks off and tells me that I've done enough and that it's time to rest. I think that might be fine if I was half way through a twenty mile run, but perhaps unnecessary when running four miles.

I set the treadmill to a steady and in my comfort zone 12 minute mile and ran for 45 minutes straight. This was one of the first times I've done this without the treadmill being set for, say, a 15 minute mile, which is essentially a slightly brisk walk. I am starting to get convinced that Disney was just the reboot I needed.

The Breakdown of the Day:

The Playlist:

Sink Into Me - Taking Back Sunday
Ego (remix) - Beyonce & Kanye West
I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
Leave Me Alone - Michael Jackson
Countin' On A Miracle - Bruce Springsteen
I Told You So - Keith Urban
C'mon, C'mon - Sheryl Crow
Something Happened on the Way to Heaven
Run - Leona Lewis
And Then There Were None - Spring Awakening
Bones - The Killers
Cruisin' Together - Smokey Robinson
The Ice is Getting Thinner - Death Cab For Cutie

The Workout:

The Beginning...



Then I accidentally hit the stop button...



The Picture:



Like what you are reading? Show me the love by donating to my Fred's Team NYC Marathon Page!

https://fredsteam.mskcc.org/fundraising/Controller?action=userHome&user_id=40160&event_id=128

No comments:

Post a Comment