Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day 35: Crazy 8

Firstly, I need to dedicate this post to a one Ms. Meggy B. She, an other marathon-runner-in-training, got me back on this blog, after verbally accosting me for my lack of postings. Now, there aren't many things I know about Meggy B. I know she hates the traffic on the LIE. I know she enjoys a good edition of Entertainment Weekly. And I know she loves Run, Fatboy, Run. It was the disappointment that I told myself I saw in her big brown eyes (which was more likely the effects of the several beers we were swigging at a happy hour for Jilly's Marathon Bid for Memorial Sloan-Kettering) that made me realize, I need to keep Run, Fatboy, Fun going. Not just for me, not just for Meggy B., but for the half dozens of people who truly enjoy reading my exploits and mocking me to their friends, families and co-workers. However, as our other friend Allie pointed out quite accurately, if I wasn't posting that meant I was off the wagon. Allie, the wisest girl in any bar at 2 am, couldn't have been more right.

Since the epic 4th of July run that left JJ nearly paralyzed - or with a foot ache - I ended up only getting one run in. My life just kind of overtook my training - and plus my good friends Meggo & Bobbo were getting married in Philly the following weekend. I realized, quickly that my resistance to long distance running would have to take a backseat to increasing my resistance to Bud Lights, otherwise the trek to Philadelphia would be a waste. It wouldn't matter if I was in West Philadelphia. Or I was born and raised there. Or even if on the playground was where I spent most of my days - if I couldn't keep up drinking with the Irish side or the German side of that wedding party, it would be more disappointing than even the slowest marathon time. And look how happy they look:



Then last week, I was recovering from all the celebrating I was doing. Around mid-week, it had dawned on me that everyone I knew, or had my facebook account, knew I was planning on running the NYC Marathon, and I hadn't done a thing to make that ballsy statement a reality in over a week. It all came crashing down on me when a friend of mine, Badee, who I had known since Elementary School, but haven't seen in a couple of years, questioned me about my running the marathon. He ended up congratulating me and hopefully donating to the cause (hint, hint, Badee - haven't gotten your check yet. Deadbeat.), but it was the initial shock in his font via FB that made me realize - oh right, right, right - no one thinks you can do this and they are probably right. I don't fault Badee for being shocked - when our 5th Grade teacher, Mr. Z., would play basketball with the boys during lunch I was either a) reading, b) sneaking my 4th snack of the day under the monkey bars or c) keeping score. I was going to have to get back on track if I ever wanted to live out my fantasy of finding Mr. Z and beating him in a game of one on one. Unfortunately, I could run all the marathons in the world, and I still would have all the hand eye coordination of a blind man, but I digress.

This led to today's epic 8 mile run. It would be the longest I've ever run by a clear mile, and I had only been training intermittently. Also, my dieting had real gone in the crapper, and wasn't helped by the fact that although I wasn't training and not eating great, I was still losing weight. I'm the kind of person who needs negative consequences, not positive reinforcement. I knew I wouldn't be able to squeeze the run in on Saturday, so I planned it for Sunday. My idea was to wake up early and get it over with. I also wanted to start running in the mornings, that way on the day of the marathon, the whole thing doesn't shock me like that first jolt of cold water when you turn on the shower.

However, I had two days from hell at work Friday and Saturday, and ended up sleeping in on Sunday. By the time I was ready to run, it was about noon. Luckily, my cousin Julie called me and reminded me that it was mid-day in mid-July and about to hit 90 degrees outside. As many of you may know, I'm not very smart, so this would've never dawned on me. People think I'm smart because I'm funny, but if you talk as much as I do, you're bound to say a couple of clever things. Just like people think that I'm friendly because I like to talk - not friendly, just chatty. Remember that if you see me in the street.

Normally, this hiccup would result in a day of lounging on the couch, but I thought of how disappointed Meggy B. would be and I decided to head to the gym, and the sanctuary of meatheads, lycra and air conditioning. I hate running on the treadmills, but it had to be done. At least this way I could look around and figure out what I might want my neck tattoo to say one day.

The run was sort of miserable - and those negative consequences I wanted so desperately, were more than I could hope for. A few times, even though Planet Fitness is a "No Judgement Zone", I couldn't help but notice that people were looking at me in disgust. You see, Planet Fitness also has a "Junk Alarm", which is to make sure people aren't being gross and grunting. But some of the primitive screeches I was letting out towards the end of my run, were female tennis player caliber. If I wasn't so sure I was going to die and never see any of these people again, I would've cared a little more.

As luck would have it, not only did I not get thrown out of the gym and have my membership revoked, but I finished the 8 miles in record time... for me.

The Breakdown of the Day:

The Playlist:

Chelsea Dagger - The Fratellis
Dance, Dance - Fall Out Boy
Come Together (live) - Kris Allen
Black Or White - Michael Jackson
This Modern Love - Bloc Party
Numb/Encore - Linkin Park & Jay-Z
Who's Lovin' You - The Jackson 5
Permanent (live) - David Cook
Good Girls Go Bad - Cobra Starship & Leighton Meester
Since U Been Gone (live) - Kelly Clarkson
What Sarah Said - Death Cab For Cutie
Flathead - The Fratellis
My Hero - Foo Fighters
Sic Transit Gloria ... Glory Fades - Brand New
Dirty Diana - Michael Jackson
Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson
Home - Foo Fighters
Got to Be There - Michael Jackson
Banquet - Bloc Party
My Love - Justin Timberlake feat. T.I.


The Food:

Starting tomorrow, I'm keeping much better track...


The Workout:




The Picture:




Like what you are reading? Show me the love by donating to my Fred's Team NYC Marathon Page! https://fredsteam.mskcc.org/fundraising/Controller?action=userHome&user_id=40160&event_id=128

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD!!!! I think we are like long lost kidred spirits!!! I think we are trying to do the same thing. I just googled "marathon cancer" tonight and came across your blog. I also work for ACS (started in Denver and moved to Seattle) and I just decided I'm gonna do a marathon in November! I'm gonna keep track of you through your blog! Would love to know more about how things are going for you! Which office are you in? Do you know Wendy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eddie -
    So glad that I could be somewhat of help in getting you back on track!! You crack me up as usually I was crying as soon as I saw "Meggy B." hope the rest of the training is going well for you. Looking fwd to your next blog...GOOD LUCK with the running. We can do it!!! Easier said then done, right :) Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete