Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day 41: 5K Loop

In accordance with my renewed commitment to that little 26.2 mile jog I've got going on November 1st, I headed to the gym on Saturday to run the prescribed 40 minutes as part of my training plan. The day started off promising enough, I was going to run some quick errands and actually take a run around my neighborhood. No problem. Well, it shouldn't be, right? Not at this point in my marathon training. Well, tell that to my belly.

I feel close with you readers, mostly because I can count the number of you on my hand, so I have no problem explaining to you that I got about 1/4 of a mile around my apartment and then had to run the fastest sprint of my life back to avoid a publicly indecency fine, for pooping in the playhouse my neighbors were selling at their garage sale. Is this an overshare? Probably, but my stomach problems are well-documented - almost historic. When the tummies hit, they hit, and there is (pardon the expression) shit-all anyone can do about it.

After I recovered from my near miss, I headed off to run my errands - these are mostly made up and not nearly as important as they sound - me trying to get someone to go see Orphan with me ; purchasing Watchmen Director's Cut on Blu Ray; finishing "In the Woods" the resplendent debut novel from Tana French which until recently, consumed my entire life. I also decided to take my run into the gym, because I'd be slightly less likely to mess my shorts. Under Armour is expensive, after all.

I didn't have much going for me on the run, and my days/weeks of half-assing my training, was coming up quickly to bite me in the ass. I thought that I would set the treadmill for stun, but that not being an option, I decided to hit the 5K button. I had never run a "5K" before, and this was better than a charity 5K, because it allowed me the opportunity to contemplate all the various ways a person could cut the sleeves out of their t-shirt.

The run was sort of miserable, and I felt every step of it, which I think is a bad sign. I couldn't really concentrate and my feet were landing with a particularly harsh thud. I had to stop to walk slightly more often than normal, and I felt achy all over. I think this is the longest I've ever stuck to something that I've decided to do, fitness wise, and it was starting to take it's toll on me. What if this became a regular habit? What if I started eating organic meat? What if I did sit-ups? Dear God, what if I had 8 servings of fruit a day!?!?! It was too much for me to handle on a single forty minute run - but luckily the nightmare was coming to an end: 5K in 41 minutes - nothing to write home about.

The Breakdown of the Day:


The Workout:



The Picture:



Like what you are reading? Show me the love by donating to my Fred's Team NYC Marathon Page! https://fredsteam.mskcc.org/fundraising/Controller?action=userHome&user_id=40160&event_id=128

No comments:

Post a Comment