Friday, July 3, 2009

Day 17: Staycation Blues

You would think a week's vacation would give me all the time in the world to do the things I need to get done: Clean my apartment, finish putting my comic books to rest on eBay and, of course, creating the perfect Michael Jackson Memorial Playlist (Who Is It? vs. Never Can Say Goodbye - it's like a slightly more painful Sophie's Choice). I also assumed, that all this free time would make working out and training for the marathon a cinch. In the words of Cady Heron's inner-monologue, I was wrong. So wrong.

For some reason the freedom that comes along with a week off of work and no vacation plans is too much for this tugboat to haul. I spent day after day alternating naps with errands ranging from returning two more Nike + iPod chips (MUHAHAHAHA!) to finally getting around to building that ark (ZING! How about that rain!?!?! Am I right or am I right?). I spent a lot of time with my BFFL Carla before her and her husband John's trip to Iceland this week (I envision them riding a sea otter with Bjork on a rainbow), but our adventures usually start well intentioned, and end with us at the tail end of a five hour bender realizing we haven't gotten anything done. Think "The Hangover" minus the buzz. So Monday went. Then Tuesday. Then, gulp, Wednesday. I realize that if I didn't get a hold of myself, I might fall so far off the wagon that I would never be able to see the end of the marathon glory. By Thursday, I knew if I didn't run, I'd never run again. I'd be a white, male version of Julia Stiles in "Save the Last Dance", only I would have a clear distinction between my calves and my ankles. And without a sassy black love interest to get my back on the pavement, there'd be no way for me to every resume my training. I knew I couldn't do allow myself to fail like that. No one wanted to see what mestar in the "Prince and Me."

So Thursday, I strapped my shoes back on and, like the Doobie Brothers and Taylor Hicks before me, I took to the street (I'm on random pop culture reference overload!). After getting some heat from Carla about the perils of running on the service road of the Long Island Expressway, I headed to the local Starbucks, parked my car and started to run. Then I walked. Then I ran. It was an okay run, nothing special about my performance. Sadly, that's not the first time I've felt that way about my performance, but at least this time I didn't have the smeared lipstick on my shirt and the stench of a walk of shame to confirm it. Double sigh.

The best part about the run was that I stumbled upon a path that I might check out on my next run. For some reason, the town of Ronkonkoma is lousy with gazebos. I don't know why but they are everywhere. They are so abundant, that Michelle, my work wife and I, have an elaborate plan to buy engraved bricks at each of the gazebos and write something ridiculous on them. Yes, kids, that's the kind of thing you think is absolutely hilarious when you reach your late twenties. Kill me. Anyway, as I was panting and gasping for air, I saw that one of these gazebos had a cement path around it, so I thought I'd take a detour. Once I did, however, there was a cement path leading up a hill, to an entire field - some kind of recreation center. I took the path around the field, and noticed several dirt paths leading into the woods. I didn't have the time of stamina to go exploring, but I think that will be the site of my next run, where I hope to lose my Running Virginity. Running Virginity? That's when you run through the woods on a slightly rainy day and come across a beautiful woman who is stretching out her quads after a tough run. No one's around so you ravage her up against a tree - poison ivy be damned! Isn't that what happens on runs when you head into a wooded area? Isn't that why so many people run?



The Breakdown of the Day:

The Playlist:

Use Somebody - Kings of Leon
Several Ways to Die Trying - Dashboard Confessional
When Love Takes Over - David Guetta feat. Kelly Rowland
Knock You Down - Keri Hilson
Man in the Mirror (live) - Kris Allen
Sink Into Me - Taking Back Sunday
Since U Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson
Oh Sherrie - Steve Perry
Who I Am Hates Who I've Been - Relient K

The Food:

One of the things that have gone by the wayside while on staycation - keeping track of my food. Fortunately, I've been having some crippling stomach pains this week, and really haven't been eating much. I'll get back on this starting Monday.


The Workout:

2.73 miles / 35:38 minutes / 13:04 per mile / 428 Calories.
I was supposed to run 40 minutes, but made it back to my car in 35:38 - sue me.


Like what you are reading? Show me the love by donating to my Fred's Team NYC Marathon Page! https://fredsteam.mskcc.org/fundraising/Controller?action=userHome&user_id=40160&event_id=128

No comments:

Post a Comment