Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 13: Back on the Wagon

As you'll notice, when these postings start getting sporadic that means, that I'm falling off the wagon. I realize that is an overly dramatic way of saying "fat" or "hungry" or "lazy" but my addiction to my couch, NYC Prep and Domino's Pasta Bread Bowls is no less severe, dangerous and all consuming than a drug addict's addiction to prescription pain meds. Look at how that ended for Michael Jackson... Too soon?

To be fair, in a sea of unrealistic goals that I've set for myself, thinking that I was capable of posting updates on my marathon training is much more ludicrous than thinking I'm capable of running 26.2 miles. I continued working out Tuesday and Wednesday, but Thursday and Friday took a pass, while swapping my Saturday long run for Sunday. In addition to skipping those workouts, I decided to eat everyday like I was being served my final meal before hitting the gas chamber. It was a real mess. If Courtney Love had found me face down in a pool of spray can cheddar cheese, she would've been grateful that her life was so well put together. But as I've learned over the last 28 years of shopping in the husky department (damn, you Kids R Us, for your segregation!) it's not what happens when you slip, it's how quickly you get back up. I know that seems very Oprah of me, but every time I've attempted to get into shape or diet, the second I slip up, it's all over. This time, it was different. After taking three days of hedonism off, I went on my second long run of my marathon training.

Before I get into the embarrassing details, I'd like to give a couple of shout outs: 1) To Meggy B., a mutual friend of mine and running buddy/enabler Jilly, for taking the marathon plunge, as well, this year! She's all signed up to run the marathon for Charity Runner, via the American Cancer Society. Check out her page and donate to support her run: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/DetermiNation/CRFY09Eastern?px=12098172&pg=personal&fr_id=19037

2) I got my very first fan mail! A friend of a friend of a friend saw my post on a Facebook wall, and gave me some great running tips and awesome song suggestions. Obviously, I already think that I am a well-known local celebrity, but now i have a burgeoning fan base in Pennsylvania. So for that, I thank you Maria, wherever you are!

Sunday morning, I awoke in the Hamptons at my cousin, Johnny & Jessica's house, by their six year old daughter Jackie at 7 am, who along with stealing a few hours sleep has also stolen my heart. My cousin's wife Jessica, was going on a run with my cousin Julie and aunt Taki, that I was supposed to join them on. It wasn't happening. This led me to believe that the likelihood of getting back on the training train, would be impossible. However, I've decided that I'm not yet comfortable running with other people, as I don't quite think I'm up to par with other runners. Telling people how badly I suck at running is one thing - them seeing it is quite another.

My sister Lola and I left Johnny & Jess' rather abruptly, as my stomach had been doing back flips since the previous night's hamburgers (which were delicious, I just should realize that properly digesting food, is no longer in my skillset). I got home and immediately took a nap, as has been my motif everyday this week now that my events at work are over. I awoke around 5 pm, and bummed around the house, for hours until I realized if I didn't run today, I would never run again. And then I'd never run the marathon. And I'd be a failure. And I would never lose weight. And I'd never find a girlfriend, get married or have kids. And I'd default on my student loans. And never solve the energy crisis. I realized, it was in the best interest of the country, or even the world, for me to just strap on my new shoes (bought them on Wednesday - siiiiiick) and head to the streets.

And so I did. There are no really great places to run by my apartment, but realized that I could literally waste the rest of the night trying to figure out the perfect running path. So I laced my Nike + iPod chip into my sneakers (suck it, Apple!) and decided to just run on the shoulder of the service road of the expressway, which happened to be outside my apartment.

It was a six mile long run, by far the furthest I'd ever run. This past week, I had been pushing myself to a 12 minute mile, which is a pace that I'd ultimately like to keep at the marathon. However, I knew that wouldn't be realistic in my second week of training. I've also decided that my grim determination on running this marathon would have to be altered. It's great to picture myself as Ryan Reynolds, but the truth of the matter is I'm more of a Paul Giamatti. I just want to FINISH the marathon. WIth that mindset, some of the pressure has been lifted.

I also don't think planning to RUN 26.2 miles is really likely. It'd be great. But let's be honest, I'm going to have to walk. Things might change as I continue to lose weight, but I'm not too sure. Those two new asterisks added to my mental training guide, I decided to pace myself based on music. Run two songs, walk one song. Run one song, walk one song. Run until the next mile is completed. Etc.

It worked out okay. I forgot to stretch, and hadn't really drank any water or eaten anything all day, which looking back was sort of dangerous. It resulted in a very so-so 13:48 average mile. It's slightly faster than I had been running, but way above the 12 minute miles I was putting up at the gym earlier in the week. But at least I saw improvement. Next week's 7 miler, I'm hoping for something closer to a 13 minute mile.

The Breakdown of the Day:

The Playlist:

Bloodshot - Jack's Mannequin
My Life Would Suck Without You - Kelly Clarkson
Real Love (remix) - Mary J. Blige
Revelry - Kings of Leon
Dreaming With a Broken Heart - John Mayer
Several Ways to Die Trying - Dashboard Confessional
SexyBack - Justin Timberlake
Know Your Enemy - Green Day
Outta Here - Esmee Denters
I Want You - Kings of Leone
Last Nite - The Strokes
Now You Tell Me - Jordin Sparks
Sober - Kelly Clarkson
MFEO - Jack's Mannequin
I Will Never Be The Same - Melissa Etheridge
Ego (remix) - Beyonce
Get Back - Demi Lovato
Come On Get Higher - Matt Nathanson

The Workout:

6.01 miles / 1:23:05 / 13:48 per mile / 945 Calories burned


Like what you are reading? Show me the love by donating to my Fred's Team NYC Marathon Page! https://fredsteam.mskcc.org/fundraising/Controller?action=userHome&user_id=40160&event_id=128

1 comment:

  1. You are my hero. Well, you were till I stumbled upon your running video which admittedly made me slightly...okay violently nauseous. I still envy you and your quest. You make me want to train for a marathon, which is odd considering that I hate exercise twice as much as you.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete