Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 1: Hot Mess

Today, I officially started my 20 week training plan for the NYC Marathon (pause for applause, shock & awe). And let me tell you, it was a rough one. First, I couldn't get out of bed this morning. I've felt this way since I was a little kid, but I honestly and truly feel like I get more tired than anyone else. I realize this is probably untrue, but I've decided to self diagnosis myself with some sort of Epstein Bar/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome that is as-yet-undiscovered by the great scientific minds of today. I call it Mouradian Shelf. It's terrible. From there, things only went further downhill...

I trudged through a ridiculous day of work - I work full-time at the American Cancer Society as a Director of Special Events for the event, Relay For Life. This is the tail-end of our busy season, which is like tax season for accountants, minus the laughs. Fortunately, I happen to love my job and my co-workers, but busy is busy.

Regardless, the shit really started to hit the fan afterwork. Today was all about time. I was supposed to run 40 minutes at a slow, moderate pace. No problem. I got home and strapped on my sneakers, before the rain that was threatening all day really blew its wad. I take to the streets and BAM, my Nike + iPod chip isn't working. This was supposed to tell me how fast I was going, how far and for how long. I was devastated. If I have to tell you that I'm not the type of person who needs these kind of hiccups, than you obviously aren't paying attention. Any roadblock on this journey, from a hangnail to a particularly captivating rerun of Small Wonder could send me off the path of the fit and righteous. In my rage I sent my run buddy (although, up until a week ago she was either my couch buddy or booze buddy), Jilly this text message:

My stupid f-ing Nike chip isn't working... I hate running! I hate the marathon! And I hate all apple and apple related products!


Granted, as I was sending the text, I had a feeling it would make it's way into this blog entry, so I went for maximum dramatic effect and proper grammar (to be fair, I like my text messages the way I like my women - clean, effective and not missing any periods). I had walked/run about a mile already, but I wouldn't count that towards my time. After a detour to the Apple Store (I'm like a battered wife) so I could purchase a wristwatch that allows me to control my iPod Nano (technology!) while I run, I headed to the gym - even though I didn't want to run indoors - this was my only course of action...

And I did it! I ran, for the first time in my life, for forty minutes straight. Did I have to chant to myself "you can do it, you can do it, you can do it" quietly under my short gasps for air? Yes. Did I need an ice bath afterwards? Yes. Did I sweat like Whitney Houston and Magic Johnson's lovechild (who, now that I think of it, probably exists)? Yes. Did I only run a 14-minute mile for forty minutes? Yes. But I did it. If the feeling I got after completing that relatively pathetic 40 minutes is any slight indication of what I will feel when I complete the marathon - then sign me up. Wait. I already am signed up. In that case sign me up for not quitting in two weeks like I assumed I would.

Sorry, no pics, but let me tell you, I was a hot, sweaty mess. I'm trying to work something out where I can actually use my webcam, so you can see the horror afterwards. Stay tuned.

The Breakdown of the Day:

The Playlist:
I'm a big fan of running to a variety of songs. I like some hip-hop and rock that gets me super pumped. But I also like songs that have a strong trajectory - a song that starts off slow and then has a big build. One of my favorite songs to run to is Mary J.'s cover of "One" because when she goes all church on it at the end, you can't help but keep going.

Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon
Testify - Common
Oh Sherrie - Steve Perry
I Know, I Know, I Know - Tegan & Sara
Sequestered in Memphis - The Hold Steady
Now You Tell Me - Jordin Sparks - Don't Judge Me! You Don't Know My Life!
Best of You - Foo Fighters - My favorite song to run to.
Cry Baby (live) - Allison Iraheta
Good Girls Go Bad - Cobra Starship & Leighton Meester
Sometime Around Midnight - The Airborne Toxic Event - My new favorite song of all-time this week.
I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked - Ida Maria

The Food:

Day energy balance:
845 less calories than personalized USDA DRI + 581 average burn with activities = 1426 total daily calorie loss

Bottom Line: you consumed 2283 and burned 581 calories. Your daily calorie loss of 1426 calories exceeds the planned calorie loss by 520 calories.

80 ounces of water.

At this rate you will be losing about 7oz daily, or about 2.9lb each week, or about 12.2lb monthly.

The Workout:

40 minutes / 400 calories burned / 2.85 miles

Like what you are reading? Show me the love by donating to my Fred's Team NYC Marathon Page! https://fredsteam.mskcc.org/fundraising/Controller?action=userHome&user_id=40160&event_id=128

No comments:

Post a Comment