Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 8: Lucky No. 13

With one full-week of marathon training under the flap of fat that sticks over my belt, I was feeling pretty confident about my 40 minutes of running that I had to accomplish today, even though my first long run was a near disaster. First, I'd like to report the most stunning news since the announcement of Jon & Kate Plus Eight on Alternating Weekends. My beef with iPod + Nike is officially over. Or at least temporarily suspended. Thanks to Tata, and a running store in Hoboken, NJ, I've been using my iPod + Nike chip with my new iPhone with very little drama. Granted the thing has yet to properly calibrate, but I hope to remedy that with Tuesday's workout. I will, of course, keep you posted. Second, I really like the new Mariah Carey song. Third, I had a kick-ass workout on Monday.

Like I said, I was feeling deceptively good about my work out prospects on Monday. For the first time all week, I wasn't dreading the workout, as if it were something that some evil person forced upon me like torture or the Kardashian Family. I really felt like this was the first work out I was in some small way looking forward to. It was also the first time during the week that getting up and down from the seated position didn't feel like a thousand Spider Monkeys biting at my groin. So that was a plus. All that and I had finally solved the chaffing issue - which I assume was the elephant in the room no one wanted to talk about (solution=Under Armour underwear, in case you were wondering or fantasizing).

Of course, as with anything with me, there were a few hurdles to overcome. This week, being sort of a wrap-up week at work (and the week before my much needed staycation), I was able to leave early. This should've led to an earlier work out, but instead led to a nap from 2:30 pm - 6:30 pm. I'm a big napper - it's the one thing I'm good at - and this one was epic. It started slowly and subtly at the couch, before I dragged myself into bed and full-on under my covers. Four hours later it took all the will I could muster, because I very much got the impression that I could've slept through the night if I didn't force myself out of bed.

Upon arising, I dicked around for a few hours, until I realized it was after 9:30 pm and I still hadn't head out on the road. Since my area is pretty dark, and I'm still pretty new to it, I decided to head to the gym. I'll admit, I did start my workout walking on the treadmill and making a playlist. After that, I decided, just for kicks, to set the speed on the treadmill to an average pace of 12 minutes per mile, which is 2 minutes faster than I've been running. I thought it would last one song, perhaps two. However, I kept the pace for the remaining 30 minutes of the workout, running two 12-minute miles, for a total of just over 3 miles and an average pace of 13 minutes per mile. Now this isn't very impressive to the outsider, but hopefully to those of you who have been reading along at home (hi mom!), you see the strides I'm making. Now granted, it took just about all my strength and energy to make this run happen, and to last the entirety of it, but it's much closer to a respectable time. If I can get myself to an average pace of 12 minutes per mile, I'd be a happy boy running the marathon in 5 hours and 15 minutes. We'll see how the rest of the week goes...

The Breakdown of the Day:

The Playlist:
I was in a very contemplative mood Monday, I don't know why. My songs are all sort of downers, but apparently it was the right kind of motivation.

Transatlanticism - Death Cab for Cutie
Up to the Mountain (live) - Kelly Clarkson
Break Your Heart (live) - Barenaked Ladies
To Love Somebody - The Bee Gees
One - Mary J. Blige feat. U2
Save You - Kelly Clarkson
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
Sometime Around Midnight - The Airborne Toxic Event

The Food:

926 less calories than personalized USDA DRI + 321 average burn with activities = 1247 total daily calorie loss

Bottom Line: You consumed 2185 and burned 321 calories. Your daily calorie loss of 1247 calories exceeds the planned calorie loss by 205 calories. At this rate you will be losing about 5¾oz daily, or about 2.5lb each week, or about 10.7lb monthly.


Day Highlights

You've burned 321.0 calories!
Congratulations: 12g of sat fat is less than 7% of calories, reducing risk of heart disease.
Congratulations: 0g of trans fat is less than 1% of calories, reducing risk of heart disease.
Low cholesterol: 159mg, staying under 300mg.
You consumed 4338mg of sodium; the recommended range is 1,500 - 2,300mg.

The Workout:



The Video:





Like what you are reading? Show me the love by donating to my Fred's Team NYC Marathon Page! https://fredsteam.mskcc.org/fundraising/Controller?action=userHome&user_id=40160&event_id=128

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Eddie! That is a lot to push it..from 14 min miles to 12. Good for you. I like the creepy smile at the end of the video.

    ReplyDelete