Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 7: The Long and Winding Run

Sunday was my first long run. Something about long and run don't quite flow freely from my lips, so I'd really like to call it my first Bunny Snuggle, or some such thing. But no matter what I try to do, there's no denying the fact that I am, like or not, training for a marathon, and that long runs will be involved. It's an ugly truth that there is just no denying.

I had delusions of grandeur this past weekend, when I signed up to run a 5 mile Prostate Cancer charity run at Central Park for Father's Day with Jilly. After a misadventure driving into the city on Friday to register for the race, I realized late Saturday night that a 7 am trip into Manhattan was never going to happen.

Saturday, I had my last Relay For Life event, and I spent the bulk of the day (12 hours-plus) in the rain on a field at a Unitarian congregation (I love my job, but it can be a little weird at times). By the time I got home it was after midnight and I realized that this long run was going to have to take place somewhere that, unfortunately, wasn't supporting prostate cancer. It was a blow to colonoscopies everywhere, but it was necessary. There was no way I'd be able to wake up, none the less run.

Being that I was expected in Hicksville at my parents house to wish Big Ed a happy Father's Day, I decided to take the path at Cedar Creek Park that follows the Wantagh Parkway to Jones Beach. The rain was coming and going and I thought it would be just the kind of quasi-movie moment I needed for inspiration.

The run was okay. I'm just not in good shape. That's the bottom line here. I struggled after the second mile and I walked, possibly more than I ran. At this point, I'm realizing how much this is a mental game. I realize that more often than not, I'm stopping, because something clicks in my mind. Regardless, I was still on my 14 minute mile pace for 5 miles, which again, is nothing to brag about, but if I keep that bare minimum, I'll still finish the marathon in under 6 1/2 hours. My goal is to run something closer to a 12 minute mile. Sorry, I don't have a ton of funny things to say today...

The Breakdown of the Day:

The Playlist:

Feeling Good (live) - Adam Lambert
Besides being an embarrassingly huge fan of American Idol, I enjoy running to American Idol songs, because they are short and it helps with my attention span. I felt I needed to justify the existence of this on my iPod.

I Do Not Hook Up - Kelly Clarkson
Knock You Down - Keri Hilson
When Love Takes Over - Kelly Rowland
No Boundaries - Kris Allen
There's really no excuse for this one though...
All These Things That I've Done - The Killers
Save You - Kelly Clarkson
Good Girls Go Bad - Cobra Starship & Leighton Meester
Don't Stop Believin' - The Glee Cast
Under Control - Parachute
Now You Tell Me - Jordin Sparks
I Know, I Know, I Know - Tegan & Sara
Sometime Around Midnight - The Airborne Toxic Event

The Food:


1466 less calories than personalized USDA DRI + 804 average burn with activities = 2270 total daily calorie loss

Bottom Line: you consumed 1645 and burned 804 calories. Your daily calorie loss of 2270 calories exceeds the planned calorie loss by 1183 calories.

At this rate you will be losing about 11oz daily, or about 4.5lb each week, or about 19.5lb monthly.

Day Highlights

You've burned 804.0 calories!
Congratulations: 6g of sat fat is less than 7% of calories, reducing risk of heart disease.
Congratulations: 0g of trans fat is less than 1% of calories, reducing risk of heart disease.
Low cholesterol: 172mg, staying under 300mg.
Low sodium: 1810mg of sodium, staying under 2,300mg.
Include at least 5 grams of fiber in your breakfast to help meet fiber and weight control goals.

The Workout:

5 miles / 14 minute-miles

The Picture:

NOPE!

Like what you are reading? Show me the love by donating to my Fred's Team NYC Marathon Page! https://fredsteam.mskcc.org/fundraising/Controller?action=userHome&user_id=40160&event_id=128

No comments:

Post a Comment