Friday, June 12, 2009

My Mother Is The Reason I Believe I Can Do Ridiculous Things That I Can't Actually Do (Like Run a Marathon)


My parents are, at the end of the day, no matter how much I make fun of them (and at times it's merciless - hey, I like an easy target), two of the greatest people on this planet - and according to my friends, quite possibly, the two cutest. They're the most supportive parents a guy could have - they are the reason that I think I can do things like sign up for a marathon and run it 20 weeks from now, because my mother never always makes outlandish statements that there isn't anything I can't do (see also: Summer Hope Foundation, The). Well, mom, I hate to prove your wrong, but I, much like Dwight K. Schrute, can't pulverize my own kidney stones. Whether or not I can run a marathon, remains to be seen.

So I struggled with whether or not I should share the e-mail that my mom wrote me after I announced that I was running the marathon. On the one hand,it's written with the Bulgarian accent she doesn't think she has when she speaks, none the less writes (my mother, like all of the generation above me in my family, is Bulgarian born), and posting it could be misconstrued as mockery. And, well, it should - but in its slight ribbing of my mother, the e-mail also encapsulates the spirit of our mother-son relationship: Pure heart, unconditional love, mixed together with a little bit of sarcasm, and a heaping dash of overbearing. Thanks, Mom!
Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GULP - IS RIGHT!!!! IF ANYBODY CAN DO IT YOU CAN I AM SURE!!!! You check with the Dr that you can do this – right? Do you have enough time to train, people train for years, are you running with somebody? GOOD LUCK!!!!!
YOU AMAZE ME SOMETIMES... OR AT LEAST MOST OF THE TIME... IN A NICE WAY MOST OF THE TIME.
Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment