Sunday, June 21, 2009

Day 4: Beachside

It was a mediocre day in the life of training, when I had to run my fourth day of training. It was Thursday and I had a meeting in the afternoon, a meeting that evening and an early meeting on Friday. I'm SOOOOO busy! So when faced with the prospect of another day of running, I knew I'd need that little something extra. I thought that perhaps I'd ask Mr. Softee to drive slowly in front of me for 40 minutes, the siren song of his ice cream truck just out of my grasp. I realized that was unlikely, as I'd never find a Mr. Softee that amenable to my plight. In search of another option, I decided I just needed a scenery change - I decided to head south to my old stomping grounds of Long Beach, to take a run by the beach.



This was my last first run of the training that took place outdoors, and I was convinced that it would be my best run yet. I was wrong. Firstly, my iPod + Nike chip was, you guessed it, not working, so I was immediately sent off the deep-end. I hoped that my rage would carry me through the bulk of my run, but all I kept focusing on was the down payment I had spent on these damned chips. Like most things in my life, I started off strong, but faded quickly (read into that what you will). I also realized something I had long suspected - I have absolutely no running technique.

When I run in the gym, I strategically place myself on a treadmill that is nowhere near a mirror. In everyone way that I am vain, seeing myself nearly have a heart attack is something I don't really need to watch. I don't want to know how bad I am at this, and I end up feeling bad for the people in the gym who have to be involved in watching me struggle. It's sort of the same way I feel about making a sex tape. Plus, there are no flattering angles.

However, as I was trotting down the boardwalk on Long Beach, I ran by a building with windows and caught my reflection. What I saw nearly stopped me in my meager tracks in shock. I looked like what I can only describe as a descendent of Godzilla, stomping around the Long Beach boardwalk. It made so much sense that the old Japanese couple bolted to the other side of the boardwalk when they saw me coming - and why Mothra wouldn't leave me alone. I don't so much run as I stomp. I feel like I should be shouting Fe Fi Fo Fum as I come storming down the road.

To remedy this, I sort of suspected that my form was a little off, but not to that extent. I worked on actively correcting it. The problem with that was that it forces me to move at a faster pace, which I'm not really ready for, physically. Although my form improved, I could only keep that up for a few minutes (approximately, one song) until I'd have to work for a few minutes (approximately, one song). I felt utterly defeated. This was the first time I had walked during a run for the entire week of training, and considered myself an epic failure. Perhaps that's a little harsh for an overweight (technically obese), out-of-shape/never-in-shape guy who is training for a marathon on a whim, but it still hurt.

However, by the time, the forty minutes was up (I was already on my way to my car), I had actually gone over 3 miles, and was at my usual 14-minute-mile pace. Which bucked me up a little bit. As this week winds down, I'm thinking next week's training will incorporate this run/walk schedule, until I get a little surer on my feet. I wonder if it might actually improve my time. We shall see.

The Breakdown of the Day:

The Playlist:

I have no idea. My iPod crapped out.

The Food:

Day energy balance:357 less calories than personalized USDA DRI + 536 average burn with activities = 893 total daily
calorie loss Bottom Line: you consumed 2771 and burned 536 calories. To meet your plan of 2530 calories (losing 1079 calories) you need to exercise more by 186 calories.

At this rate you will be losing about 4¾oz daily, or about 1.8lb each week, or about 7.7lb monthly.


Day Highlights

You've burned 536.0 calories!
Congratulations: 0g of trans fat is less than 1% of calories, reducing risk of heart disease.
Low cholesterol: 243mg, staying under 300mg.
29g of sat fat provided more than 7% of calories. Keeping it lower will reduce risk of heart desease.
You consumed 5081mg of sodium; the recommended range is 1,500 - 2,300mg.

My sodium in-take is ridiculous.

The Workout:

45 minutes, about 3.2 miles - 14-minute mile pace.

The Picture:

My new iPhone doesn't have a flash. Sorry =(

Like what you are reading? Show me the love by donating to my Fred's Team NYC Marathon Page! https://fredsteam.mskcc.org/fundraising/Controller?action=userHome&user_id=40160&event_id=128

No comments:

Post a Comment